Over the last 6 months I have been taking a total of around 50 students from being complete novices with the sewing machine, and hand sewing, to being comfortable with the sewing machines. Some students still have a long way to go, but others have done really well. Over the next few days I will be showing you some of the best pieces from one of my classes. I forgot to take photos of the work done by the other class.
One of the things I have started doing is when I come across a bag in a blog post or on flickr that I think will be great inspiration for my students, I will email the owner of the picture and ask their permission to use it in a powerpoint. It is very important to me that I follow these guidelines, and not take shortcuts, because I know how much work has gone into making something so special. When I saw this bag, I contacted the owner and she was fantastic in allowing me to use the photo. And it proved to be very inspirational for my students.
The students were required to design their own bag and decorate it. They had to come up with 2 different methods of decoration. The owner of this bag used both types of decoration. She had already decided that she wanted a teddy bear on her bag, and with the help of a family member, was able to blanket stitch applique the teddy bear to the front of the bag. Initially her plan was to have the different parts of the teddy in different fabrics, but I would say the family member convinced her to change her mind.
This second photo is from the back of the bag. As you can see, she has outlined the bear in back stitch. I was really quite impressed with the finish. After completing her boxer shorts and stuffed animal, the student then went on to embroider a pincushion for me using this pattern.
Her best friend used a thin cotton fabric as the main fabric of her bag, so ‘lined’ it with the calico. She had decided to include flowers on her bag, and used raw edge applique to do so. I believe this bag may have been influenced by Artcy Crafty Babe.
The final bag is also made by a friend of the first girl. After she had finished the bag, she spent considerable time attaching a patchwork of fabrics to the bag using a running stitch. If I had known at the time what she was doing, I woud have possibly stopped her in her tracks and taught her how to patchwork. However, I am glad that I did not, because I think the raw edge applique is quite effective. The final picture is of the 3 bags together. Well done girls.