That is the patchwork top I made last weekend. Ok. So it wasn’t last weekend. I wagged one day last week. Well, sort of. You see, my daughter, who has High Functioning Autism, had her orientation day at secondary school. It was only a half day. And she had to be there at 9am. And I had to be in class at 9am. And I had to leave class by around 12.30pm to go get her. So there went 4 of the 5 classes I was teaching, so I took a carers day.
Anyway, I digress.
I taught my Year 8 Maths and Science class for textiles last semester. Several of the students did not finish their final project and wanted to complete it this semester. As we are so close to the end of the year, I decided to give them a chance on Monday. But 2 of the students who wanted to sew have finished all of the projects. As this was extra, I decided that I would encourage the girls to explore more of the textile world. I decided I would have them make a quilt.
It had to be simple. It had to be quick. And it could not take up a lot of my time. So I came up with this…
The centre of the quilt is made up of the 5″x5″ squares of a Blueberry Crumb Cake by Blackbird Designs charm pack, with the first border being 2″ and the second border is 5″. I determined how much fabric the girls would need, and rang their parents so that I could get their permission before going any further. After all, I estimate that the finished quilt will cost around $100.
On Saturday I had to go the local patchwork store to pick up 2 more charm packs and border fabrics. After all, to teach effectively, you really do need to have a working model or 2!
On Monday the girls showed up with their fabric selections. One of the girls had a pre-Moda charm pack, which consisted of 3×3″ squares of 4 fabrics and the other had a charm pack consisting of 40 pieces of fabric. The first task I gave the girls was to layout the Moda charm pack in a manner which appealed to them both. I then showed them how to strip piece the squares together. They finished doing this with about 10 minutes to spare before the end of the lesson, at which time I demonstrated how to press open the seams.
I am looking forward to working with the girls next Thursday on their patchwork tops…