After a long hiatus from my needlework, my recent decision to take the shop to Pakenham Stitch! has brought my stitching mojo back.
Over the past 6 or 7 weeks I have been working on Ann Womack, from Shakespeare’s Peddler. Originally stitched in 1838, Ann Womack is a gorgeous monochromatic sampler consisting of 5 alphabets, one of which is over one, a verse and a number of motifs. The suggested fabric is a 40ct linen from Lakeside Linens, and the thread is a NPI red silk.
Having neither the thread, nor the fabric in my stash, I was not going to leave “Ann” in the someday pile. Looking through my stash, I came across a piece of 32ct hand-dyed linen from Silkweavers.
Many moons ago I collected different pieces of linen through Silkweavers. the colour I have used is called Sandcastle. Fortunately the cut is large enough for this sampler, though there is a little less fudge room around the outside of the linen than I like.
Next came the thread selection. With a strong fascination with red samplers, I have a tendency to collect red threads. This time I am using a Valdani 6 stranded cotton from my personal collection. Knowing that it is a reasonably large sampler (223×223 stitches), I needed to make sure I had enough thread from the same dyelot, which made this thread the perfect choice. I have 2 x 10yard skeins.
Since the 7th of July I have found myself regularly stitching on this project. It is a lot of fun, and something that gives the opportunity to practice mindfulness.
Next time: How I am approaching the stitching of this project, and why.